Sunday, February 1, 2009

Introduction


The warm weather had made a trip to Oak Hammock Marsh tempting, but now the snow is blowing... Seems as good a time as any to write! My name is Nic, and I go birding - the object being to locate and identify wild birds. This can be as easy (think bird feeder near the window) or as difficult (think safari) as the birder chooses. It can involve lists and cameras, binoculars and spotting scopes, field guides and sketchbooks.

Two limiting factors in my own birding is time (as in, not enough) and money (same concern). We (myself and Ed) live in Winnipeg and have birded almost exclusively in Manitoba, for the above two reasons. However, an unexpected result of this limitation is a more intimate understanding of our location, and the discovery of some great "hot spots" not frequented by others. This is where the (possibly dubious) claim to "Intrepid" comes in. The "Manitoban" part is much easier to justify!

Sunset along Highway 44, August 16, 2008

Did I mention I'm a sucker for sunsets?






No comments: