Monday, January 4, 2010

It's not a new year thing

I love new projects!  No particular attachment to a new year, I start projects year round.  Some I finish, some I don't.  My newest one is one I've been putting off for over four years now - scan all my photos taken with film cameras.  I can't even guess how many I've got, but have made a conservative estimate of about ten thousand.  I can scan, crop and rename about 100 a day, so thinking I might be able to get this done by spring, if I stick to it!  That is a very large "if" though, so we'll see how it goes.

One thing I'm finding interesting is how the old photos have such a different "look" from the digital ones.  My camera at the time was a point-and-shoot, but a pretty fancy one for the day - I got it in 1995, and it had a zoom that went all the way to 135 mm!  It lasted me until May of 2005, when it abruptly quit working, while I was trying to photograph a Pileated Woodpecker in Pinawa.  Waaah!!  Finished that trip with a few disposable cameras, and our new camcorder.



This photo was taken in the area between Brandon and Douglas in October of 2004.  I think I read about it in the "Birding in Southwestern Manitoba" book.  We got there late, and only saw a few Juncos.  Lovely view though, and we also saw some deer in the surrounding fields.



I have no idea when, or where this photo was taken.  Sighh...  I may be able to figure it out, this photo was in one of the boxes of second-rate photos, with nothing written on the back.  It may have been a double, as well - remember how cheap it used to be to get double prints made?  I used to do that all of the time...  But I've got a lot of those index prints, where the photo store would give you a photo sized print, showing all of the images from the roll of film.  So maybe this one will surface on one of those.



Gotta love distinctive structures!  I don't know when this photo was taken, but that's the Oak Hammock Marsh Interpretive Center!  

For comparison, here is a shot taken of the same area, with a digital camera.



No comments: